Friday 2 September 1960
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Hideo Yoshizawa and John S Hall.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to It's Now Or Never by Elvis Presley.
In UK Please Don't Tease by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
Let's Make Love, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Coronado 9.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1960.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 September 1960!
Which were the important events of 2 September 1960 ?
- Mauritius - Ganesh Chaturthi
- Also see September 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Sophia
- Sedan Day (Sedantag) - traditional national German holiday (see Sedan, France) that commemorates Prussia's victory over France in 1870, making the German Empire a reality.
- Transnistria - Independence day, note Transnistria is not an internationally recognized independent state
- Vietnam - National Day (independence from France, 1945)
- Hideo Yoshizawa: Japanese video game designer and executive, General Manager at Namco Bandai Holdings.
- John S Hall: American poet and spoken-word artist.
- Christophe Caresche: French left wing politician, a member of the National Assembly of France.
- Eric Dickerson: Texas, United States -- NFL halfback (LA Rams, Colts / 2,105 yards in 1984).
- Kristin Halvorsen: Norwegian politician Norwegian Minister of Finance.
- Rex Hudler: Tempe, Arizona -- Outfielder (New York Yankees, California Angels)
- Tamara and Irina Press (USSR) become 1st sisters to win olympic gold
- The first election of the Parliament of the Central Tibetan Administration, in history of Tibet. The Tibetan community observes this date as the Democracy Day.
- 1960 Summer Olympic Games: Cassius Clay wins the gold medal in light-heavyweight boxing.
- The Congolese president, Joseph Kasavubu, fires Patrice Lumumba's entire government, and also places Lumumba under house arrest.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- The Ventures - Walk -- Don't Run
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Bobby Rydell - Volare
- Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
- Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Finger Poppin' Time
- Donnie Brooks - Mission Bell
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- Anita Bryant - In My Little Corner Of The World
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?