Wednesday 2 September 2009
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of September people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Up in the Air, directed by Jason Reitman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching MacKenzie Falls.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Ace Combat Xi: Skies of Inscursion or Altitude.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 September 2009!
Which were the important events of 2 September 2009 ?
- Mauritius - Ganesh Chaturthi
- Also see September 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Sophia
- Sedan Day (Sedantag) - traditional national German holiday (see Sedan, France) that commemorates Prussia's victory over France in 1870, making the German Empire a reality.
- Transnistria - Independence day, note Transnistria is not an internationally recognized independent state
- Vietnam - National Day (independence from France, 1945)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 02 September
- Y S Rajasekhara Reddy: Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, India (Born 1949).
- US drugmaker Pfizer agrees to pay US$2.3 billion in the largest healthcare fraud settlement in the history of the Department of Justice. The firm was found to have illegally promoted four drugs for uses which had not been approved by medical regulators.
- The 66th Venice International Film Festival gets underway. (BBC)
- Iolu Abil is elected the President of Vanuatu during the third round of the Vanuatuan presidential election. (Xinhua)
- Greek Prime Minister Kostas Karamanlis announces that he is to ask the president to dissolve parliament and call a general election for October. (BBC)
- Charles Gibson announces he will step down as anchor of World News and retire from ABC in January 2010. Diane Sawyer will replace him at ABC World News. (ABC News)
- British energy company BP says it has drilled one of the deepest wells ever in the oil and gas industry as it made a ampquotgiantampquot discovery in the Gulf of Mexico. (MarketWatch)
- Google's Gmail service is hit by an outage affecting the ampquotmajorityampquot of its 150 million users. (BBC)
- A Chilean judge issues arrest warrants for 129 people for allegedly helping to purge critics of the country's former ruler General Augusto Pinochet. (Bernama)
- Two car bombs explode in Athens and Salonika, damaging the Athens Stock Exchange and lightly wounding one woman. (Athens News Agency)
- An Iraqi court sentences four security force personnel to death by hanging for their parts in a bank robbery which left eight security guards dead. (Press TV)
- Two American journalists held by North Korea for illegal entry admit to crossing the border but claim North Korean guards arrested them on the Chinese side of the border and dragged them back into the country. (Reuters)
- Ennama Asfari, the co-president of a Committee for the Respect of Freedoms in Western Sahara, is jailed for four months for insulting a policeman. (IOL)
- Prime Minister of Burkina Faso Tertius Zongo confirms least three people were swept away by floods and thousands are left homeless in Ouagadougou and its suburbs. (IOL)
- A woman kills a man by jumping on top of him in Barcelona, Spain. (IOL)
- Sixteen Somalis drown after being forced overboard into the Gulf of Aden. (IOL)
- Malaysia reverses a ruling which had banned Muslims from attending a Black Eyed Peas concert in Kuala Lumpur. (BBC News)
- A 3,700-year-old wall is discovered in east Jerusalem. (Xinhua)
- Miyuki Hatoyama, Japan's new first lady, speaks of riding a UFO to Venus, calling it ampquota very beautiful placeampquot and ampquotreally greenampquot. (Reuters)
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?