Wednesday 3 January 1917
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Roger W Straus and Vernon Walters New York City.
Great Expectations, directed by Robert G. Vignola, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 3 January 1917!
Which were the important events of 3 January 1917 ?
- The tenth night and ninth day of Christmas in Western Christianity
- The Festival of Sleep Day
- In astronomy the best date to view the Quadrantids meteor shower.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Pax
- Feast day of St Genevieve
- In astronomy the approximate date of Earth's perihelion.
- Roger W Straus: Jr.
- Vernon Walters New York City: New York, US permanent representative to the United Nations.
- Pierre Dervaux: French operatic conductor, composer, and pedagogue.
- Leon McAuliffe: American Western swing musician famous for his steel guitar solos with Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys, inspiring Wills's phrase, "Take it away, Leon.
- Jake Pelkington: American athlete, he played pro basketball for one season, in 1948-49.
- Dick Schulz: American athlete, pro basketball player for four seasons from 1946-1950.
- Albert Mol: Dutch author and actor (d. 2002)
- Vernon Walters: American general and diplomat 17th United States Ambassador to the United Nations (d. 2002)
- Roger Straus: Jr. American journalist and publisher co-founded Farrar Straus and Giroux (d. 2004)
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1917 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- 1812 Overture, Part 1 - Regimental Band of H.M. Grenadier Guards
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?