Sunday 3 September 1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, directed by Alfred Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 3 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 3 September 1939 ?
- Pomicino Cirino: Italian physician and ex-neurologist who went into politics.
- Jo Castle: American musician entertainer known for the honky-tonk, ragtime and jazz piano that she pounded weekly on the long-running Lawrence Welk show.
- Molly Bruce: Canadian mother of two normal kids and son Cameron, who was born six weeks premature and autistic.
- Michiel Horn: Canadian professor and historian.
- Britain declares war on Germany. France follows 6 hours later quickly joined by Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Canada
- German U-boat sinks British passenger ship Athenia
- Great Britain and France declare war on Germany after invasion of Poland
- Yanks beat Red Sox on a forfeit, their 4th forfeit win
- World War II: France, the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia declare war on Germany after the invasion of Poland, forming the Allies.
- President Franklin Delano Roosevelt advocates neutrality in a Nation-wide radio address.
- British liner in the eastern Atlantic. Of the 1,418 aboard, 98 passengers and 19 crew are killed.
- Canadian Prime Minister Mackenzie King, in English, and Justice Minister Ernest Lapointe, in French, give an international radio address, stating its intentions to declare war against Nazi Germany.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 3 September 1939 and get them!