Tuesday 4 August 1914
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
The Call of the North, directed by Oscar Apfel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1914.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 4 August 1914!
Which were the important events of 4 August 1914 ?
- Ancient Egypt - Jubilation of the Heart of Re
- El Salvador - Transfiguration Bank Holiday
- Cook Islands - Constitution Day (celebrations begin on the last Friday in July and last up to 2 weeks.)
- Burkina Faso - Anniversary of the Revolution
- St. Luanus/Lugid
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Saint John Vianney, the patron saint of priests
- St. Dominic
- Rik Slabbinck: Flemish painter.
- Silvio Bagolini: Italian film actor who appeared in 137 films between 1936 and 1973.
- Mimi Ferrari: Italy Actor.
- Jules Lemaitre: French critic and dramatist (Born 1853).
- German army shoots Belgian priests / burns down village of Battice
- German fleet under Admiral Souchon fire on Algerian coast
- King Albert I becomes Supreme Commander of Belgian army
- Lord Kitchener becomes British Minister of War
- US declares neutrality in WWI
- World War I: Germany invades Belgium. In response, the United Kingdom declares war on Germany. The United States declare their neutrality.
- The German minelayer ''Königin Luise'' lays a minefield about off the Thames Estuary (Lowestoft). She is intercepted and sunk by the British light-cruiser HMS ''Amphion''.
- Montenegro declares war on Austria-Hungary.
- German zeppelins drop bombs on Liège, killing 9 civilians.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1914 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- When It's Moonlight on the Alamo - Peerless Quartet
- Kitty McKay - Prince's Orchestra
- When the Angelus is Ringing - Lyric Quartet
- Gems from High Jinks - Victor Light Opera Co.
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?