Friday 4 December 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Empire State Of Mind by Jay-Z.
The Lovely Bones, directed by Peter Jackson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Under the Dome by Stephen King was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 4 December 2009!
Which were the important events of 4 December 2009 ?
- Roman festivals - secret ceremonies in honor of Bona Dea
- R.C. Saints - Saint John of Damascus: optional memorial; also Saint Barbara
- Santerfa, Lukumf - Day of Shango
- International Hug Day. See Also: January 21st, National Hugging Day
- Navy Day in India
- US Marines and Afghan troops launch Operation Cobra's Anger in northern Helmand province. (Bloomberg)
- The U.S. Office of Thrift Supervision closes down the Cleveland based AmTrust Bank. (Dow Jones via NASDAQ
- An explosion at a nightclub in Perm, Russia, kills at least one hundred and injures around a hundred people. (MSNBC)
- A fire at a nightclub in the North Sumatra capital of Medan, Indonesia, kills at least 20 people. (BBC)
- Namibian incumbent President Hifikepunye Pohamba is reelected along with the ruling SWAPO party after elections last week. (AFP)
- At least 50 people are missing after two ferries collide on the River Nile near Rashid (Rosetta) in Egypt. (Ynetnews)
- Two Rwandan soldiers are killed while on a peacekeeping mission in Darfur. (BBC)
- Security forces in the Philippines raid the compounds of clans suspected of being involved in the Maguindanao massacre. (''Philippine Inquirer'')
- An Italian jury finds Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito guilty in the case of the 2007 murder of Meredith Kercher in Perugia. Knox is sentenced to 26 years in prison, Sollecito to 25. (CNN)
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation announces that 25 member countries will contribute a further 7,000 troops to the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan in addition to 30,000 additional American and 500 British troops previously announced. (BBC)
- 2010 FIFA World Cup draw:
- The venue, Cape Town International Convention Centre, is sealed off after two bomb scares. (''The Guardian'')
- Nepal's cabinet meets on Mount Everest to highlight the impact of climate change in the Himalayas. (''Hindustan Times'')
- Guinea's military leader Captain Moussa Dadis Camara is flown to Morocco for medical treatment after being shot by an aide in an assassination attempt. (Xinhua)
- At least 47 people drown after a ferry capsizes in Kishoreganj District, Bangladesh. (BBC)
- A further three people are sentenced to death for their involvement in the July riots in Ürümqi, Xinjiang, in northwestern China. (Xinhua)
- Militants in southern Thailand kill a Muslim family of three while a bomb attack injures two in Pattani Province. (RTÉ)
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2009 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?