Monday 4 May 1959
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Come Softly To Me by The Fleetwoods.
In UK Side Saddle by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 4 May 1959 ?
- Star Wars day, "May the 4th be with you" pun on "May the force be with you"
- Republic of China - Literary Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- International Firefighters' Day.
- Saint Ladislaus of Gielnow
- People's Republic of China - Youth Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- Blessed Catherine of Park
- Saint Judas Cyriacus
- Saint Florian
- Saint Godehard
- Saint Monica of Hippo (d. 387)
- Saint Ethelred
- Saint Silvianus
- Saint Titianus
- Saint Willerik
- Saint John Houghton, Saint Robert Lawrence, Saint Augustine Webster, Saint Richard Reynolds, and Saint John Hale; all put to death in 1535.
- Saint Malou
- The Netherlands - Remembrance of the Dead.
- Randy Travis: American country western singer who has been accredited every award in his field.
- Maurizio Cheli: Italian astronaut who participated in the Shuttle Mission of 2/22/1996.
- Randy Travis [Randy Bruce Traywick] in Marshville: North Carolina, USA; country singer ("Forever and Ever Amen", "Diggin' Up Bones").
- Rohn Stark: NFL punter (Pittsburgh Steelers).
- Robert Raymond Tway in Oklahoma City: Oklahoma, USA; PGA golfer (1986 Shearson).
- Scott Armstrong: American professional wrestling referee
- Inger Nilsson: Swedish actress
- Valdemaras Chomičius: Lithuanian basketball player and coach
- 1st Grammy Awards: Perry Como and Ella Fitzgerald win
- First Grammy Awards: Perry Como and Ella Fitzgerald win.
- Pulitzer prize awarded to Archibald Macleish (JB).
- The 1st Grammy Awards are held.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- Elvis Presley - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
- Travis and Bob - Tell Him No
- Fabian - Turn Me Loose
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?