Thursday 4 May 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Runaway by Del Shannon.
In UK Blue Moon by The Marcels was in the top 5 hits.
Two Women, directed by Vittorio De Sica, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 4 May 1961 ?
- Star Wars day, "May the 4th be with you" pun on "May the force be with you"
- Republic of China - Literary Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- International Firefighters' Day.
- Saint Ladislaus of Gielnow
- People's Republic of China - Youth Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- Blessed Catherine of Park
- Saint Judas Cyriacus
- Saint Florian
- Saint Godehard
- Saint Monica of Hippo (d. 387)
- Saint Ethelred
- Saint Silvianus
- Saint Titianus
- Saint Willerik
- Saint John Houghton, Saint Robert Lawrence, Saint Augustine Webster, Saint Richard Reynolds, and Saint John Hale; all put to death in 1535.
- Saint Malou
- The Netherlands - Remembrance of the Dead.
- Eugene Daniel NFL center (Indianapolis Colts: Baltimore Ravens).
- Mary Elizabeth McDonough in Van Nuys: California, USA; actress (Erin - Waltons).
- Luis Herrera: Colombian cyclist.
- Deborah Lipp: American Wiccan High Priestess of the Gardnerian Tradition and an author.
- Jay Aston: English singer-songwriter and dancer (Bucks Fizz).
- Anita Stewart: American actress and producer (d. 1961).
- 13 Freedom riders began bus trip through South
- 1st on-the-road Spacemobile lecture given.
- CORE begins freedom rides from Washington, DC
- South-Africa ANC-leader John Nkadimeng arrested
- Malcolm Ross and Victor Prather reach 34,668 metres (record) in balloon.
- Thirteen Freedom riders begin bus trip through South US.
- American civil rights movement: The ''Freedom Riders'' begin a bus trip through the South.
- U.S. Freedom Riders begin interstate bus rides to test the new U.S. Supreme Court integration decision.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Linda Scott - I've Told Every Little Star
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- The Marcels - Blue Moon
- Clarence Frogman Henry - But I Do
- Adam Wade - Take Good Care Of Her
- Ray Charles - One Mint Julep
- Brenda Lee - You Can Depend On Me
- Floyd Cramer - On The Rebound
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?