Wednesday 5 August 1914
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
The Call of the North, directed by Oscar Apfel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 August 1914!
Which were the important events of 5 August 1914 ?
- St. Memmius
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Oswald
- St. Afra and her companions
- Burkina Faso - Independence Day
- Croatia - Victory Day and National Thanksgiving Day
- Jacques Angelvin: French actor and television host who worked with Jacques Chabannes and Roger Féral on the "Tele-Paris" show, which later became "Paris Club.
- Parley Baer: American actor (d. 2002).
- David Brian: NYC, New York -- Actor (Accussed of Murder, Dawn at Sorocco).
- Stjepan Šulek: Croatian composer and conductor (d. 1986).
- Anita Colby: Washington, DC -- Model / actress (Pepsi Cola Playhouse).
- Stjepan Sulek: Croatian violinist / composer (Coriolan)
- Bob Daughters: American baseball player, a right-handed pinch runner who played one game with the Boston Red Sox on 24 April 1937.
- Anthony West: British noted family, the illegitimate son of a hot and heavy love affair between H.G. Wells and Dame Rebecca West. "Panther" was a nickname his parents used with each other; they were together for ten years before separating.
- 1st traffic light installed (Euclid Ave & E 105th St, Cleveland)
- Cuba, Uruguay, Mexico and Argentina proclaim neutrality in WWI
- Dutch Cort Van de Linden government issues silver bonds as money
- Massive German assault on forts around Luik
- Montenegro declares war against Austria-Hungary in World War I
- Westerschelde leaves due to German invasion in Belgium
- US, Nicaragua sign treaty granting canal rights to US.
- In Cleveland, Ohio, the first electric traffic light is installed.
- World War I: the German minelayer Konigin Luise lays a minefield about 40 miles of the Thames Estuary (Lowestoft). She is intercepted and sunk by the British light-cruiser HMS Amphion.
- 16 ampndash Battle of Liège: The German Army overruns and defeats the Belgians.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1914 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- When It's Moonlight on the Alamo - Peerless Quartet
- Kitty McKay - Prince's Orchestra
- When the Angelus is Ringing - Lyric Quartet
- Gems from High Jinks - Victor Light Opera Co.
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 1914?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 5 August 1914 and get them!