Tuesday 5 August 1947
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
'I Know Where I'm Going!', directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 August 1947!
Which were the important events of 5 August 1947 ?
- St. Memmius
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Oswald
- St. Afra and her companions
- Burkina Faso - Independence Day
- Croatia - Victory Day and National Thanksgiving Day
- Angry Anderson: Australian singer-songwriter and actor (Rose Tattoo The Party Boys and Buster Brown).
- Bernie Carbo: American baseball player and hairdresser.
- France Córdova: American astrophysicist and academic.
- Greg Leskiw: Canadian guitarist and songwriter (The Guess Who).
- Rick Derringer: American musician, a singer, guitarist, songwriter and producer.
- Joannes D M Cornelissen: Historian (Johann de White).
- Netherlands ceases political action in Indonesia, due to UN pressure
- The Netherlands stops all political actions in Indonesia.
- Thor Heyerdahl's balsa wood raft, the ''Kon-Tiki'', smashes into the reef at Raroia in the Tuamotu Islands after a 101 day, 4,300 mile, voyage across the Eastern Pacific Ocean, proving that pre-historic peoples could hypothetically have traveled to the Central Pacific islands from South America.
- The Bombay Municipal Corporation formally takes over the Bombay Electric Supply and Transport (BEST).
- The Muslim majority region formed by the Partition of India gain independence from the British Empire and adopts the name '''Pakistan'''. While the transition is officially at midnight on this day, Pakistan celebrates its independence on August 14, compared with India on the 15th, because the Pakistan Standard Time is 30 minutes behind the standard time of India.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1947 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now (Decca) - Perry Como (Ted Weems Orchestra)
- I Ain't Mad at You - Count Basie & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 5 August 1947 and get them!