Friday 5 August 1955
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
To Catch a Thief, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 5 August 1955 ?
- St. Memmius
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Oswald
- St. Afra and her companions
- Burkina Faso - Independence Day
- Croatia - Victory Day and National Thanksgiving Day
- Eddie Ojeda: American guitarist and songwriter (Twisted Sister and Scarecrow).
- Carmen Miranda: Portuguese-American actress known as "the Brazilian Bombshell," flamboyant over-the-top but with an irresistible force of personality.
- After playing 274 straight games at 2nd base, Nellie Fox is given a day off he comes back next 798 consecutive games
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Unchained Melody - Les Baxter & His Orchestra
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Something's Gotta Give (orchestra Of Sy Oliver) - Sammy Davis Jr.
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 5 August 1955 and get them!