Wednesday 5 August 1959
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Pete Burns and Pat Smear.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Lonely Boy by Paul Anka.
In UK Dream Lover by Bobby Darin was in the top 5 hits.
The Tingler, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Oh Boy!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 5 August 1959 ?
- St. Memmius
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Oswald
- St. Afra and her companions
- Burkina Faso - Independence Day
- Croatia - Victory Day and National Thanksgiving Day
- Pete Burns: rocker (Dead or Alive - "Spin Me Round").
- Pat Smear: American guitarist and songwriter (Nirvana Foo Fighters Germs and Adolescents).
- Edgar Guest: English-American poet and author (d. 1959).
- 42.4 cm rainfall in Decatur Co, Iowa (state record)
- Chicago Cardinals (NFL) beat Toronto Argonauts (Canadian Football League) 55-26 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Fabian - Tiger
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Ricky Nelson - Sweeter Than You
- Duane Eddy - Forty Miles Of Bad Road
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?