Saturday 5 August 1989
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Batdance by Prince.
In UK Back To Life (However Do You Want Me) by Soul II Soul was in the top 5 hits.
The Abyss, directed by James Cameron, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while The Russia House by John le Carré was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 August 1989!
Which were the important events of 5 August 1989 ?
- St. Memmius
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Oswald
- St. Afra and her companions
- Burkina Faso - Independence Day
- Croatia - Victory Day and National Thanksgiving Day
- Aaron Chewning: Vine Star.
- Jessica Nigri: Model.
- Colt Tombs: American noted family, the son of Roderick George Tombs, better known as pro wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper.
- Ryan Bertrand: English footballer.
- Mathieu Manset: French footballer.
- Ralph Meeker: American film, stage and television actor best known for starring in the 1953 Broadway production of Picnic, and in the 1955 film noir cult classic Kiss Me Deadly.
- General elections are held in Nicaragua with the Sandinista Front winning a majority.
- Jaime Paz Zamora is elected President of Bolivia, taking office the next day.
- U.S. Congressman Mickey Leland (D-TX) and 15 others die in a plane crash in Ethiopia.
- The presidents of five Central American countries agree that the U.S.-backed ''contras'' fighting the government of Nicaragua should be disbanded and evicted from their bases in Honduras by December 5.
- Federal Express purchases Flying Tiger Line for approximately 800 million U.S. dollars.
- Prime Minister of New Zealand David Lange resigns for health reasons and is replaced by Geoffrey Palmer.
- ''STS-28'': Space Shuttle ''Columbia'' takes off on a secret 5-day military mission.
- Toshiki Kaifu becomes Prime Minister of Japan.
- The asteroid 4769 Castalia is the first asteroid directly imaged by radar from Arecibo.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 5 August 1989 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?