Saturday 5 December 2009
It was Saturday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Empire State Of Mind by Jay-Z.
The Lovely Bones, directed by Peter Jackson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Under the Dome by Stephen King was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 December 2009!
Which were the important events of 5 December 2009 ?
- Thailand - The King's Birthday, National Day, Father's Day
- Day of the Ninja
- Austria - Krampus
- Also see December 5 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- R.C. Saints - formerly: Saint Sabas
- Roman festivals - Faunalia celebrated in honor of Faunus (according to Horace, Odes 3.18)
- Belgium, the Netherlands and the UK - Saint Nicholas Eve (whom Dutch speakers call Sinterklaas, which became in other languages Santa Claus)
- Princess Vimolchatra: of Thailand (Born 1921).
- CNN issues an apology to ''The Irish Times'' after accusing the newspaper of publishing fake nude photographs of the world's number one golfer Tiger Woods. CNN also alleged ''The Irish Times'' had paid damages as a result. (''The Irish Times'')
- Irish Independent Member of Parliament Noel Grealish withdraws his support for the country's government over the issue of pay cuts in the public sector. The move reduces the administration of Taoiseach Brian Cowen to a minority government. (''Irish Independent'')
- More than one million tickets for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa go on sale globally. (BBC)
- Thousands of people attend the funeral of Chilean singer and national icon Víctor Jara in Santiago, reburied 36 years after his death via torture in the 1973 military coup carried out by Augusto Pinochet. (BBC)
- Bhumibol Adulyadej, King of Thailand, returns to his hospital bed in Bangkok after making a brief public appearance to mark his 82nd birthday. (Sky News)
- Tens of thousands of people demonstrate in London and other European capitals ahead of a United Nations climate change summit in Copenhagen. (''The Times'')
- Tens of thousands of people take to the streets of Rome in a national ampquotNo B Dayampquot demonstration demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. (France 24)
- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev declares a national day of mourning on December 7 following a nightclub fire which resulted in 109 deaths yesterday. (Xinhua)
- Guinea's vice-president and defence minister Sekouba Konate of the ruling National Council for Democracy and Development takes charge of the country after leader Moussa Dadis Camara was shot in an assassination attempt. (BBC)
- The President of the Philippines Gloria Macapagal Arroyo declares martial law in Maguindanao following the Maguindanao massacre. (''Philippine Inquirer'')
- Six doctors in the United Kingdom are taking legal action to demand a formal inquest into the death of government scientist David Christopher Kelly. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 5 December 2009 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?