Thursday 5 February 2009
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of February people in US were listening to My Life Would Suck Without You by Kelly Clarkson.
He's Just Not That Into You, directed by Ken Kwapis, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 February 2009!
Which were the important events of 5 February 2009 ?
- Kashmir Day observes as public holiday in Pakistan.
- Catholicism - Feast day of Saint Agatha of Sicily, patron saint of firework makers and glass blowers.
- Saint Bertolf
- Ella-Grace Trudeau: Canadian newsmaker, the second-born child to Liberal politician Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie Grégoire, a CTV entertainment reporter.
- The United States Navy guided missile cruiser USS Port Royal runs aground off Oahu, Hawaii, damaging the ship as well as a coral reef.
- USA Swimming suspends Michael Phelps from competition for three months following publication of a photograph of him inhaling from a marijuana pipe. (AP via ''Sports Illustrated'')
- Muttiah Muralitharan of Sri Lanka's national cricket team becomes the highest wicket-taker in One Day Internationals with 503. (Sports 24)
- Russia, Belarus, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan agree to form a rapid reaction force based in the Federation. (AFP via ''The Australian'')
- China declares a national emergency due to severe droughts throughout the country. (BBC)
- Somali pirates release Ukraine's MV ''Faina'' following a US$3.2-million ransom payment. (BBC)
- Late 2000s recession:
- The number of Americans applying for first-time unemployment benefits reaches its highest level since October 1982. (CNN Money)
- At least 10 people are killed in a Brazilian Federal Police raid in Rio de Janeiro. (BBC)
- Heavy snowfall closes Ireland's Dublin Airport and disrupts flights for several hours. (RTÉ)
- Three members of the State Legislative Assembly in Perak state, Malaysia from the People's Alliance declare themselves independent and pledge support for the National Front, sparking a constitutional crisis. (''New Straits Times'')
- Zimbabwe's House of Assembly allows power-sharing between the African National Union – Patriotic Front and the Movement for Democratic Change. (Reuters)
- A suicide bomber kills 24 people and injures at least 40 in Dera Ghazi Khan, Pakistan. (MSNBC)
- Undefeated Welsh boxer Joe Calzaghe announces his retirement. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?