Friday 5 January 1917
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Great Expectations, directed by Robert G. Vignola, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 January 1917!
Which were the important events of 5 January 1917 ?
- Mungday (Discordianism)
- Catholicism - Feast day of St. John Neumann.
- The eleventh day of Christmas in Western Christianity, and the Twelfth Night of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- Wieland Wagner: German stage director (Born 1917).
- Francis L Kellogg: American diplomat and socialite (d. 2006).
- Adolfo Consolini: .
- Lucienne Day: English textile designer (d. 2010).
- Francis Kellogg: American businessman and diplomat (d. 2006).
- Robert Antelme: French writer. During the Second World War he was involved in the French Resistance and deported.
- Reginald Smith: Brindle composer.
- Jane Wyman: American actress who won an Oscar in 1948 for the film "Johnny Belinda." She made a screen debut in 1936 with a bit part in a film, which eventually led to a contract with Warner. Her best films were in the '40s, however, and included such memorable as "The Yearling" and "Lost Weekend." Her last film was taped in 1961, "How To Commit Marriage."
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1917 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- 1812 Overture, Part 1 - Regimental Band of H.M. Grenadier Guards
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in January 1917?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 5 January 1917 and get them!