Friday 5 January 1940
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Shop Around the Corner, directed by Ernst Lubitsch, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1940.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 January 1940!
Which were the important events of 5 January 1940 ?
- Mungday (Discordianism)
- Catholicism - Feast day of St. John Neumann.
- The eleventh day of Christmas in Western Christianity, and the Twelfth Night of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- Yuri Ershov: Russian mathematician.
- Sir Michael Rose: British military officer.
- Michael O'Donoghue: American writer (d. 1994).
- Athol Guy: Australian singer-songwriter and bassist (The Seekers).
- Dany Saval in Oakland: California, USA; actress (Boeing Boeing, Moon Pilot).
- FCC hears 1st transmission of FM radio with clear, static-free signal
- Finnish offensive at Suomossalmi against Russia.
- US Federal Communications Commission hears first transmission of FM radio with clear, static-free signal.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1940 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- The Man Who Comes Around - Tommy Tucker & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?