Friday 5 May 1944
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The White Cliffs of Dover, directed by Clarence Brown, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1944.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 5 May 1944 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- Nicolas Arthus-Bertrand: French entrepreneur; representing the sixth generation of the Arthus-Bertrand family (Parisian medal and decoration manufacturers).
- Bo Larsson: Swedish footballer.
- Roger Rees: Welsh-American actor and director (d. 2015).
- Jean-Pierre Leaud: Paris, France -- Actor (Detective).
- Roger Raised: English actor (Nicholas Nickleby).
- John Rhys-Davies: English-born Welsh actor
- Gandhi freed from prison.
- Russian offensive against Sebastopol Krim.
- WWII: Mohandas Gandhi is released in India.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1944 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Helen Forrest & Dick Haymes - Long Ago (And Far Away)
- Jo Stafford - I Love You
- Amor Amor - Enric Madrguera
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?