Thursday 5 May 1949
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Barkleys of Broadway, directed by Charles Walters, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 5 May 1949 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- Anna Bergman: Stockholm, Sweden -- Actress (Agent 69).
- Eppie Bleeker: Dutch speed skater.
- Michael Murphy in Los Angeles: California, USA; actor (Dr Art Armstrong - Two Marriages).
- Maurice Maeterlinck: Belg playwright (Grand Fairie, Nobel 1911).
- Council of Europe forms
- KGO TV channel 7 in San Francisco, CA (ABC) begins broadcasting
- Statue of Council of Europe drawn
- Tiger 2nd baseman Charlie Gehringer selected to Hall of Fame
- The Treaty of London establishes the Council of Europe in Strasbourg as the first European institution working for European integration.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?