Tuesday 5 May 1959
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Come Softly To Me by The Fleetwoods.
In UK Side Saddle by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 5 May 1959 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- Ian McCullough: rocker (Echo and The Bunnymen - "Heaven Up Here").
- Bobby Ellsworth: American singer and bass player (Overkill).
- Ian McCulloch: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (Echo & the Bunnymen Electrafixion and Crucial Three).
- Peter Molyneux: English video game designer created Fable.
- Steve Stevens: American guitarist and songwriter (Juno Reactor).
- Eric Barret: French jazz conductor, soloist, composer, teacher and author of numerous educational resources.
- Sylvain Desmarres: French race horse trainer and jockey/ harness racer.
- Brian Williams: American news anchor
- Johann Gajda: German footballer
- Carlos Saavedra Lamas: Argentine jurist who in 1936 was awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace for his part in ending the Chaco War (1932–35), fought between Bolivia and Paraguay over the northern part of the Gran Chaco region and especially its oil fields.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
- Elvis Presley - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
- Travis and Bob - Tell Him No
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- Fabian - Turn Me Loose
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?