Tuesday 5 May 1981
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Morning Train (Nine To Five) by Sheena Easton.
In UK Making Your Mind Up by Bucks Fizz was in the top 5 hits.
The Burning, directed by Tony Maylam, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1981
while Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1981.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 5 May 1981 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- Danielle Fishel: American actress.
- Craig David: Pop Singer.
- Marcelle Bittar: Brazilian model.
- Stian Omenås: Norwegian trumpeter and orchestra leader.
- Farid Kamil: Malaysian actor director and screenwriter.
- Danielle Christine Fishel in Mesa: Arizona; American actress (Topanga - Boy Meets World).
- Chris Duncan: American baseball player
- Bobby Sands: Irish Republican Army activist, dies in his 66th day of hunger strike (born 1954).
- Bobby Sands, Provisional Irish Republican Army volunteer and elected member of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom, dies aged 27 while on hunger strike in HM Prison Maze.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1981 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Sheena Easton - Morning Train (Nine To Five)
- Grover Washington Jr. - Just The Two Of Us
- Smokey Robinson - Being With You
- Juice Newton - Angel Of The Morning
- Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
- Daryl Hall & John Oates - Kiss On My List
- REO Speedwagon - Take It On The Run
- Gino Vannelli - Living Inside Myself
- Taste Of Honey, A - Sukiyaki
- Eric Clapton - I Can't Stand It
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?