Monday 5 November 1917
It was Monday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
The Little Princess, directed by Marshall Neilan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 November 1917!
Which were the important events of 5 November 1917 ?
- R.C. Saints - November 5th is the feast day of the following Roman Catholic Saints: St. Bertilia
- St. Laetus
- Pope Zachary
- St. Sylvia
- St. Magnus
- St. Galation
- St. Fibitius
- St. Felix and Eusebius
- St. Elizabeth
- St. Dominator
- Ancient Latvia - the festival Katrina
- United Kingdom and New Zealand - Guy Fawkes night (also called Bonfire night; or Fireworks night): Failure of the Gunpowder Plot to blow up Parliament in 1605 is celebrated with bonfires and fireworks.
- St. Domninus
- Claus Adam: Composer.
- Jacob Everaers: Office clerk / resistance fighter.
- Jacqueline Auriol: French record-setting aviator, she set her fifth world speed record on June 22, 1962 at Istres, France.
- Banarsi Gupta: Indian activist and politician 4th Chief Minister of Haryana (d. 2007).
- Jens Evensen: Norwegian lawyer, judge, politician (of the Labour Party), trade minister, international offshore rights expert, member of the International Law Commission and judge at the International Court of Justice in The Hague, member of The Swedish Order of the Polar Star and Commander Of The Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav.
- Banarsi Das Gupta: Indian former Chief Minister of Haryana (d. 2007)
- Madeleine Robinson: French actress, she made her screen debut in 1934 in "Soldats sans Uniforms." In 1959 she won Best Actress award at the Venice Film Festival.
- Gen Pershing and US troops see action on Western Front for 1st time
- Supreme Court decision (Buchanan vs. Warley) strikes down Lousiville Ky ordiance requiring blacks and whites to live in separate areas
- October Revolution: In Tallinn, Estonia, Communist leader Jaan Anvelt leads revolutionaries in overthrowing the Provisional Government (As Estonia and Russia are still using the Julian Calendar, subsequent period references show an October 23 date).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1917 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Nora Bayes - Over There
- Good-Bye Broadway, hello France - Peerless Quartet
- 12th Street Rag - Earl Fuller's Novelty Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in November 1917?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 5 November 1917 and get them!