Friday 6 August 1926
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Christa Reinig and J[anet] O[pal] Jeppson [nee Janet Asimov].
The Scarlet Letter, directed by Victor Seastrom, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1926.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 1926!
Which were the important events of 6 August 1926 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
- Christa Reinig: Writer.
- J[anet] O[pal] Jeppson [nee Janet Asimov]: Author (2nd Experiment).
- Norman Wexler: American writer, a playwright and screenwriter whose credits included the screenplays for "Mandigo" and "Saturday Night Fever.
- Elisabeth Beresford: British author and creator of The Wombles (Born 1926).
- Frank Finlay: Farnworth Lancashire, England -- Actor (Robbery, Lifeforce).
- Clem Labine: American baseball player and manager (d. 2007)
- Moritz : Landgrave of Hesse (d. 2013)
- János Rózsás: Hungarian author (d. 2012)
- Don Juan with John Barrymore shown
- Gertrude Ederle becomes the first woman to swim across the English Channel.
- In New York City, the Warner Brothers' Vitaphone system premieres with the movie Don Juan starring John Barrymore.
- Harry Houdini performs his greatest feat, spending 91 minutes underwater in a sealed tank before escaping.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1926 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Bye Bye, Blackbird - Gene Austin
- Cherie, I Love You - Ben Bernie & His Orchestra
- Poor Papa - Whispering Jack Smith
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?