Friday 6 August 1926
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
The Scarlet Letter, directed by Victor Seastrom, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 1926!
Which were the important events of 6 August 1926 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
- Elisabeth Beresford: British author and creator of The Wombles (Born 1926).
- Frank Finlay: Farnworth Lancashire, England -- Actor (Robbery, Lifeforce).
- Clem Labine: American baseball player and manager (d. 2007).
- Moritz : Landgrave of Hesse (d. 2013).
- János Rózsás: Hungarian author (d. 2012).
- Norman Wexler: American writer, a playwright and screenwriter whose credits included the screenplays for "Mandigo" and "Saturday Night Fever."
- Christa Reinig: Writer
- J[anet] O[pal] Jeppson [nee Janet Asimov]: Author (2nd Experiment)
- Don Juan with John Barrymore shown
- Gertrude Ederle becomes the first woman to swim across the English Channel.
- In New York City, the Warner Brothers' Vitaphone system premieres with the movie Don Juan starring John Barrymore.
- Harry Houdini performs his greatest feat, spending 91 minutes underwater in a sealed tank before escaping.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1926 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Bye Bye, Blackbird - Gene Austin
- Cherie, I Love You - Ben Bernie & His Orchestra
- Poor Papa - Whispering Jack Smith
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 6 August 1926 and get them!