Friday 6 August 1948
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid, directed by Irving Pichel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 1948!
Which were the important events of 6 August 1948 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
- William McCrea: Irish soldier and politician.
- Dreesgovt (KVP / Social Democratics / CHU / Liberal) forms
- Bob Mathias, US, wins decathlon at London Olympics.
- Fanny Blankers-Koen (Netherlands) is first women to win three golds at Olympics.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- You Call Everybody Darlin' - Anne Vincent
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 6 August 1948 and get them!