Friday 6 August 1971
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Curtis Shearer and Mike Bales.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to How Can You Mend A Broken Heart by Bee Gees.
In UK I'm Still Waiting by Diana Ross was in the top 5 hits.
Deep End, directed by Jerzy Skolimowski, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
while The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Guardians.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing The Oregon Trail or Star Trek.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 1971!
Which were the important events of 6 August 1971 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
- Curtis Shearer: WLAF receiver (Frankfurt Galaxy).
- Mike Bales: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan -- NHL goalie (Ottawa Senators).
- Merrin Dungey: American actress.
- Scott Minto: English footballer and sportscaster.
- Piyal Wijetunge: Sri Lankan cricketer.
- A lunar eclipse lasting 1 hour, 40 minutes, and 4 seconds is observed.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 6 August 1971
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1971 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bee Gees - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
- The Raiders - Indian Reservation (The Lament Of The Cherokee Reservation Indian)
- James Taylor - You've Got A Friend
- Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff
- Tommy James - Draggin' The Line
- John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads
- Carole King - It's Too Late
- Chicago - Beginnings
- What The World Needs Now Is Love/Abraham Martin And John (Medley) - Tom Clay
- Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?