Saturday 6 August 1988
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Roll With It by Steve Winwood.
In UK The Only Way Is Up by Yazz & The Plastic Population was in the top 5 hits.
The Last Temptation of Christ, directed by Martin Scorsese, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1988
while Alaska by James A. Michener was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 1988!
Which were the important events of 6 August 1988 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
- Justin Simpson: American noted family, second child and son of O.J.
- Aleska Diamond: Hungarian porn actress.
- Chelsee Healey: English actress.
- Jared Murillo: American singer dancer and actor (V Factory).
- Oakland Athletics Jose Canseco becomes 11th to hit 30 HRs and steal 30 bases
- Rich Gossage 300th career save (beats Phillies)
- (to August 7) A riot erupts in Tompkins Square Park (New York City) when police attempt to enforce a newly-passed curfew for the park. Bystanders, artists, residents, homeless people and political activists are caught up in the police action.
- The Tompkins Square Park Police Riot in New York City spurs a reform of the NYPD, held responsible for the event.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1988 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Steve Winwood - Roll With It
- George Michael - Monkey
- Richard Marx - Hold On To The Nights
- Breathe - Hands To Heaven
- Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me
- Elton John - I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That
- Eric Carmen - Make Me Lose Control
- Chicago - I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love
- Gloria Estefan - 1-2-3
- Terence Trent D'Arby - Sign Your Name
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 6 August 1988 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?