Thursday 6 December 1917
It was Thursday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Roger Denis and Dean Hess.
The Good for Nothing, directed by Carlyle Blackwell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 December 1917!
Which were the important events of 6 December 1917 ?
- Spain - Constitution Day
- Belgium and the Netherlands celebrate Sinterklaas, a day on which a skinny version of Santa Claus gives the children oranges, candy and toys.
- Finland - Finland Independence Day (from Russia, 1917)
- Canada - National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
- Also see December 6 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Saint Nicholas
- Roger Denis: French aviator in World War II, who served as a pilot in the Fighter Squadron 1/30 Normandie-Niemen, from 3 August until his death on 13 October 1943.
- Dean Hess: American minister and colonel (d. 2015).
- Kamal Jumblatt: Lebanese leader of the Lebanese Druze (d. 1977).
- Irv Robbins: Canadian-American businessman co-founded Baskin-Robbins (d. 2008).
- Waldemar von Gazen: German soldier and lawyer (d. 2014).
- French munition ship Mont Blanc explodes in Halifax, kills 1,700
- Halifax Explosion: In Canada, a munitions explosion kills more than 1,900 people and destroys part of the City of Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 6 December 1917
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1917 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- In Lilac Time (When You Stole This Heart of Mine) - Charles King & Elizabeth Brice
- Some Sunday Morning - Ada Jones & M.J. O'Connell
- (Goodbye, and Luck Be with You) Laddie Boy - Nora Bayes
- Over There - Billy Murray
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?