Saturday 6 January 1940, Epiphany
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ed Zschau and John Byrne.
The Shop Around the Corner, directed by Ernst Lubitsch, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching NBC News (1940 TV Series).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 January 1940!
Which were the important events of 6 January 1940 ?
- Epiphany (National Holiday) in Italy
- Christianity (except Eastern and Oriental Orthodox who follow the Julian Calendar) - Epiphany of the Lord (a.k.a. "Twelfth Day of Christmas" and Three Kings Day in some areas).
- In the Irish Calendar- Little Christmas or Nollaig na mBan (Women's Christmas) and/or Twelfth Day.
- Twelfth Night, or The Lord of Misrule
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the ceremonial birthday of Haile Selassie
- Ancient Latvia - Zvaigznes Diena observed
- Armenian Christmas (except in the Holy Land where it's on January 18th - old calendar)
- Ed Zschau: (Rep-R-California, 1983- ).
- John Byrne: Scottish stage designer and dramatist, best remembered for his work for the television series "Tutti Frutti," from March 1987 and "Your Cheatin' Heart.
- Olga Georges-Picot: French noted family, the daughter of an ambassador born in China.
- Jean Josselin: .
- Penny Lernoux: American journalist and author (d. 1989).
- Van McCoy: Singer / songwriter (Hey Mr DJ, Hustle), dies at 35
- WWII: Winter War: General Semyon Timoshenko takes command of all Russian forces.
- WWII: Food rationing begins in Great Britain.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?