Wednesday 6 May 1959
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Kate Collins in Boston and Eric D.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Come Softly To Me by The Fleetwoods.
In UK Side Saddle by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Markham.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 6 May 1959 ?
- New Martyr Demetrios of the Peloponnesus (d. 1803)
- Seraphim the Struggler of Mt. Domvu
- Micah of Radonezh
- New Martyr Elias Ardunis
- Righteous Job the Long-suffering (OT)
- Barbarus the soldier, with Bacchus, Callimachus and Dionysios
- Barbaros the Robber in Thessaly
- Blessed Prudentia
- Saint Benedicta of Rome
- Saint Dominic Savio, patron saint of studying youth
- Saint Lucius
- Saint John in the Oil
- Saint Justus
- Sinaites of Serbia
- Kate Collins in Boston: Massachusetts, USA; actress (Natalie Hunter - All My Children).
- Eric D: Fingerhut; American politician (Representative-Democrat-Ohio).
- Scott Hood in Seattle: Washington, USA; Canadian Tour golfer (1989 Montana Open-second).
- Renaud Muselier: French politician, who served as Conseiller général ("counsellor") of the département of Bouches-du-Rhône (1992, 1993-1995), Député ("MP") of Bouches-du-Rhône (1993), and Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs (2002).
- Andreas Busse: German runner.
- Charles Hendry: British Member of Parliament.
- Iceland gunboats shoot at British fishing ships.
- In Hollywood, California, the 11th Annual Emmy Awards are presented, hosted by Raymond Burr. Best Comedy Series: The Jack Benny Program
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
- Elvis Presley - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
- Travis and Bob - Tell Him No
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- Fabian - Turn Me Loose
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?