Saturday 6 May 1961
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include George Clooney in Lexington and Clay O'Brien in Ray.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Runaway by Del Shannon.
In UK Blue Moon by The Marcels was in the top 5 hits.
Two Women, directed by Vittorio De Sica, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Ernie Kovacs Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 6 May 1961 ?
- New Martyr Demetrios of the Peloponnesus (d. 1803)
- Seraphim the Struggler of Mt. Domvu
- Micah of Radonezh
- New Martyr Elias Ardunis
- Righteous Job the Long-suffering (OT)
- Barbarus the soldier, with Bacchus, Callimachus and Dionysios
- Barbaros the Robber in Thessaly
- Blessed Prudentia
- Saint Benedicta of Rome
- Saint Dominic Savio, patron saint of studying youth
- Saint Lucius
- Saint John in the Oil
- Saint Justus
- Sinaites of Serbia
- George Clooney in Lexington: Kentucky, USA; actor (Dr Douglas Ross - ER, Batman).
- Clay O'Brien in Ray: Arizona, USA; actor (Weedy - The Cowboys).
- Gina Riley: Australian actress, writer, singer and comedian.
- George Clooney: American actor with several appointments to annual Best-dressed, Most Stylish, Most Eligible and Sexiest Man Alive lists.
- Isabelle Guérin: French ballet dancer, a member of the Paris Opera Ballet from 1978.
- Oleksandr Apaychev: Ukrainian decathlete and coach
- Tom Hunter: Scottish businessman and philanthropist
- Lucian Blaga: philosopher/poet (Transcendental censor), dies at age 65.
- Omer Vanaudenhove chosen chairman of Belgium Liberal Party.
- 87th Kentucky Derby: John Sellers aboard Carry Back wins in 2:04.
- Tottenham Hotspur F.C. becomes the first team in the 20th century to win the English league and cup double. This being the last time Tottenham won the English League.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Linda Scott - I've Told Every Little Star
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- The Marcels - Blue Moon
- Clarence Frogman Henry - But I Do
- Adam Wade - Take Good Care Of Her
- Ray Charles - One Mint Julep
- Brenda Lee - You Can Depend On Me
- Floyd Cramer - On The Rebound
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?