Friday 6 May 2011
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to E.T. by Katy Perry.
Thor, directed by Kenneth Branagh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 6 May 2011 ?
- New Martyr Demetrios of the Peloponnesus (d. 1803)
- Seraphim the Struggler of Mt. Domvu
- Micah of Radonezh
- New Martyr Elias Ardunis
- Righteous Job the Long-suffering (OT)
- Barbarus the soldier, with Bacchus, Callimachus and Dionysios
- Barbaros the Robber in Thessaly
- Blessed Prudentia
- Saint Benedicta of Rome
- Saint Dominic Savio, patron saint of studying youth
- Saint Lucius
- Saint John in the Oil
- Saint Justus
- Sinaites of Serbia
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 06 May
- 2011 Yemeni protests: Protests continue in Yemen. (Al Jazeera)
- 2011 Syrian uprising:
- 27 people are killed in a ampquotday of defianceampquot against the regime in Syria on Friday, including 15 protesters, and 5 security forces in Homs. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- Syrian security forces kill 15 protesters in Homs when they fired on a crowd of demonstrators to disperse them . (''The Australian'')
- Riad Seif, a Syrian opposition figure and former member of parliament, is arrested in Damascus. (CNN)
- Tunisian Revolution: Riot police break up an anti-government demonstration calling for a ampquotnew revolutionampquot in the capital Tunis. (AFP via Google News)
- Pakistani militants open fire on Shi'ite Muslims in Quetta killing at least 8 and wounding 10. (Reuters)
- At least five people are killed and 18 are injured after someone throws a hand grenade into a crowd in Karachi. (Xinhua)
- The inquest into the 7 July 2005 London bombings concludes with the ruling that the victims had been unlawfully killed. (CNN)
- Death of Osama bin Laden
- Al-Qaeda issues a statement confirming bin Laden's death and threatens revenge. (CNN)
- The Taliban in Afghanistan advises that it will reinvigorate its efforts in fighting NATO. (CNN)
- British musician Sir Paul McCartney gets engaged to American businesswoman Nancy Shevell. (AP via KOMO News)
- CNET reports that a group of computer hackers is planning another cyberattack against Sony over its handling of the PlayStation Network outage. (CNET)
- Spring 2011 Mississippi River Floods
- The United States Coast Guard closes a section of the Mississippi River near Caruthersville, Missouri due to heavy flooding. (CNN)
- The President of the United States Barack Obama declares a state of emergency for Louisiana due to concerns about floods. (WDSU)
- Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan orders the closing of the ageing Hamaoka nuclear power plant in a densely populated area southwest of Tokyo because it is located close to a tectonic fault line. (CNN)
- Russia launches an urgent rescue mission after the nuclear-powered icebreaker Taymyr in its fleet develops a nuclear leak in the frozen seas of the Arctic and was forced to abandon its mission. (''The Australian'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?