Saturday 6 October 1979
It was Saturday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Sad Eyes by Robert John.
In UK Message In A Bottle by The Police was in the top 5 hits.
The Black Stallion, directed by Carroll Ballard, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1979.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 October 1979!
Which were the important events of 6 October 1979 ?
- Judaism - Fast of Gedalia (2005)
- Egypt - National Day or Victory Day; celebrates the results of the October war in 1973
- U.S. - German-American Day observed since 1987; Mad Hatter Day
- French Republican Calendar - �ne (Donkey) Day, fifteenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Ireland - Ivy Day, formerly honoring the Irish revolutionary Padraig Pearse, commemmorates the death of Charles Stewart Parnell.
- Also see October 6 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Bruno, St Faith
- David Di Tommaso: French football/soccer player, who started his career at French side AS Monaco, where he helped the club win the 2000 league title.
- Richard Seymour: American football player.
- Lex Shrapnel: English actor.
- Pascal van Assendelft: Dutch sprinter.
- Elizabeth Bishop: Poetess (North & South, Pulitzer 1956), dies at 68.
- Pope John Paul II becomes the first pontiff to visit the White House.
- Federal Reserve System changes from an interest rate target policy to a money supply target policy.
- Peter Brock wins the Bathurst 1000 by a record 6 laps, with a lap record on the last lap.
- Lesotho recognizes the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR).
- Near Guam, Typhoon Tip reaches a record intensity of 870 millibars, the lowest pressure recorded at sea level. This makes Tip the most powerful tropical cyclone in known world history.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
- Michael Jackson - Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
- Herb Alpert - Rise
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Commodores - Sail On
- Little River Band - Lonesome Loser
- Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Love This Way Again
- M - Pop Muzik
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Donna Summer - Dim All The Lights
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?