Wednesday 6 September 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, directed by Alfred Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 6 September 1939 ?
- United States - National Stillbirth Remembrance Day in 39 states
- RC Saints - a Saint Bega or Bee of Cumbria and a Sankt Mang of Fnssen
- Bulgaria - Unification Day
- Canada - Stillbirth Remembrance Day in New Brunswick, Quebec, and Ontario
- Pakistan - Defence Day
- Swaziland - Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1968)
- Also see September 6 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- David Coe: American country-western singer.
- Brigid Berlin: American actress painter and photographer.
- Errol Black: Canadian academic and politician (d. 2012).
- Dan Cragg: American soldier and author.
- Susumu Tonegawa: Japanese molecular biologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.
- Arthur Rackman: English book illustrator (Born 1867).
- 1st German air attack on Great-Britain in WWII
- South Africa declares war on Nazi-Germany
- World War II: South Africa declares war on Germany.
- Little Sisters of Jesus founded in Algeria by Little Sister Magdeleine.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 6 September 1939 and get them!