Tuesday 6 September 1955
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to The Yellow Rose Of Texas by Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
Journey to Italy, directed by Roberto Rossellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 September 1955!
Which were the important events of 6 September 1955 ?
- United States - National Stillbirth Remembrance Day in 39 states
- RC Saints - a Saint Bega or Bee of Cumbria and a Sankt Mang of Fnssen
- Bulgaria - Unification Day
- Canada - Stillbirth Remembrance Day in New Brunswick, Quebec, and Ontario
- Pakistan - Defence Day
- Swaziland - Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1968)
- Also see September 6 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Raymond Benson: American author and playwright.
- Anne Henning: United States -- 500m speed skater (1972 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Carl Erwin Walz: Cleveland, Ohio -- Major USAF / Astronaut (STS 51, 65, 79).
- Mike Pescatore: American aircraft fatality, a passenger on Pan Am #103 which exploded over Scotland on 12/21/1988.
- Catch a Star opens at Plymouth Theater NYC for 23 performances
- J van Tilburg appointed Governor of Suriname
- Istanbul Pogrom: Istanbul's Greek and Armenian minority are the target of a government-sponsored pogrom.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1955 ?
Top #8 songs in the USA
- The Four Lads - Moments To Remember
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Roger Williams - Autumn Leaves
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Fontane Sisters - Seventeen
- Boyd Bennett - Seventeen
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 6 September 1955 and get them!