Wednesday 6 September 1961
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pal Waaktaar and Peggy MacIntaggart.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Michael by The Highwaymen.
In UK Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton was in the top 5 hits.
The City of the Dead, directed by John Moxey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching King of Diamonds.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 6 September 1961 ?
- United States - National Stillbirth Remembrance Day in 39 states
- RC Saints - a Saint Bega or Bee of Cumbria and a Sankt Mang of Fnssen
- Bulgaria - Unification Day
- Canada - Stillbirth Remembrance Day in New Brunswick, Quebec, and Ontario
- Pakistan - Defence Day
- Swaziland - Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1968)
- Also see September 6 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Pal Waaktaar: Oslo, Norway -- Rock guitarist / vocalist (A-ha).
- Peggy MacIntaggart: Midland, Ontario -- Playmate (January, 1990).
- Simon Reeve: Australian journalist and game show host.
- Scott Travis: American drummer (Judas Priest Racer X and Animetal USA).
- Paul Waaktaar-Savoy: Norwegian singer-songwriter and guitarist (A-ha and Savoy).
- USSR performs nuclear test at Kapustin Yar USSR
- In Bells, Texas, USA a meteorite strikes the roof of a house.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 6 September 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Ral Donner - You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It)
- Gary (U.S.) Bonds - School Is Out
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- The Jive Five - My True Story
- Timi Yuro - Hurt
- Linda Scott - Don't Bet Money Honey
- Adam Wade - As If I Didn't Know
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?