Thursday 7 May 1953
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK She Wears Red Feathers by Guy Mitchell was in the top 5 hits.
The Desert Rats, directed by Robert Wise, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The Silver Chalice by Thomas B. Costain was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 7 May 1953 ?
- USA - National Masturbation Day (Declared by Good_Vibrations_(sex_toy_business)) Now in its 11th year - 
- Blessed Gisela (died 1060)
- Saint Domitian of Huy, apostle of the Meuse valley
- Bulgaria - Radio and Television Day (see above)
- Russia - Radio Day (commemorating the work of Alexander Popov)
- Saint Flavia Domitilla
- Ronnie Dreyer: American pro astrologer and author, based in New York City and internationally known for her lectures, courses and workshops in Vedic astrology.
- Müslüm Gürses: Turkish singer and actor (d. 2013).
- Pat McInally: American football player and coach.
- Ian McKay: British soldier, Victoria Cross recipient (Born 1953).
- Can Can opens at Shubert Theater NYC for 892 performances
- Record 537-kg swordfish is caught by L E Marron, in Chile.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1953 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?