Thursday 7 May 1959
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Michael E Knight in Princeton and Robin L Freeman in Saint Charles.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Come Softly To Me by The Fleetwoods.
In UK Side Saddle by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Markham.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 7 May 1959 ?
- USA - National Masturbation Day (Declared by Good_Vibrations_(sex_toy_business)) Now in its 11th year - 
- Blessed Gisela (died 1060)
- Saint Domitian of Huy, apostle of the Meuse valley
- Bulgaria - Radio and Television Day (see above)
- Russia - Radio Day (commemorating the work of Alexander Popov)
- Saint Flavia Domitilla
- Michael E Knight in Princeton: New Jersey, USA; actor (Date with Angel, All My Children).
- Robin L Freeman in Saint Charles: Missouri, USA; PGA golfer (1993 Northern Telecom-third).
- Tamara E Jernigan in Chattanooga: Tennessee, USA; PhD/astronaut (STS 40, 52, 67, 80).
- Michael E Knight: American actor.
- Barbara Yung Mei-ling: Hong Kong actress (d. 1985).
- Michael Knight: American actor, best known for his portrayal of Tad Martin on the afternoon TV soap opera, "All My Children." Knight is a three-time Emmy Award-winner for the role, taking home honors in 1986, 1987 and 1997.
- Georgiy Kolnootchenko: Belarusian discus thrower
- Heiki Valk: Estonian archeologist and academic
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 7 May 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
- Elvis Presley - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
- Travis and Bob - Tell Him No
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- Fabian - Turn Me Loose
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?