Thursday 7 September 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Michael by The Highwaymen.
In UK Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton was in the top 5 hits.
The City of the Dead, directed by John Moxey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 7 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 7 September 1961 ?
- Also see September 7 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Brazil - Independence day (from Portugal, 1822)
- Mozambique - Victory Day
- RC Saints - Saint Regina; Saint Evurtius (Heortius), St. Cloud (Clodoald)
- Matthias Brandt: German actor, the son of former West German Chancellor Willy Brandt.
- Jean-Yves Thibaudet: French classical pianist, who has performed with most of the world's leading symphonic orchestras, including the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, and the Orchestre National de France, among others.
- George Tobia: American entertainment lawyer with the firm of Burns and Levinson since 1992 has several high-powered deals to his credit, among which are the sale of the Jack Kerouac archives to the New York Public Library for an amount "in the seven figures" in 2001.
- LeRoi Moore: American saxophonist and songwriter (Dave Matthews Band) (d. 2008).
- Madeleine Lagadec: French nurse in a mobile hospital in El Salvador during the civil war (1980-92.
- Pieter S Gerbrandy: Lawyer / Premier to London 1940-5, dies at 76.
- Tom and Jerry make a return with their first episode since 1957, Switchin' Kitten. The new creator, Gene Deitch makes 12 more Tom and Jerry episodes until 1962.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- The Jive Five - My True Story
- Ral Donner - You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It)
- Timi Yuro - Hurt
- Gary (U.S.) Bonds - School Is Out
- Linda Scott - Don't Bet Money Honey
- Adam Wade - As If I Didn't Know
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 7 September 1961 and get them!