Thursday 8 April 1943
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Carol Lavell and J P Kavanaugh.
Edge of Darkness, directed by Lewis Milestone, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 April 1943!
Which were the important events of 8 April 1943 ?
- Saint Constance
- Buddha's Birthday in Japan
- Saint Walter of Pontoise (died 1099)
- Saint Julie Billiart of Namur (died 1816).
- Carol Lavell: Fairfax, Vermont -- Equestrian dressage (1992, 96 Olympics - Bronze Medalist).
- J P Kavanaugh: Racehorse trainer.
- Robby Weaver: Actor (Stone).
- William Garth Morrison: Chief scout.
- Michael Bennett: American dancer and showman who began dancing at an early age.
- James Herbert: British writer of horror and science fiction novels. His best-selling works, "The Magic Cottage," "Haunted" and "Creed," established him as a writer with great depth and originality. His powerful and chilling novels take the reader into the realm of evil, evoking a brooding sense of peril and a continually rising tension, and worldwide, they have sold in excess of 40 million copies.
- Brigitte Rieser: German social scientist, for 16 years, a lecturer in psychology in schools for adult education and a professional astrologer. In 1988 she established a practice for psychological astrology. An active member of the ‘Deutscher Astrologenverband/DAV’, she has been the acting director of the ‘DAV-Ausbildungszentrum Ruhrgebiet’ in Witten, Germany since the early '90s. She was born in a town that was German at the time of her birth and is now Polish.
- Jean-Marie Rouart: French novelist, essayist and journalist. He was elected to the Académie française on 18 December 1997.
- Tony Banks: Baron Stratford Irish politician Minister for Sport and the Olympics (d. 2006)
- Miller Farr: American football player
- Jack O'Halloran: American boxer and actor
- Chris Orr: English painter and illustrator
- Hakuun Yasutani Roshi, founder of Sanbo Kyodan, receives dharma
- Jomo Kenyatta of Kenya convicted of involvement with Mau Mau.
- Stanley Cup: Detroit Red Wings sweep Boston Bruins in four games.
- U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, in an attempt to check inflation, freezes wages and prices, prohibits workers from changing jobs unless the war effort would be aided thereby, and bars rate increases by common carriers and public utilities.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 8 April 1943
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?