Wednesday 8 April 1959
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Venus by Frankie Avalon.
In UK As I Love You by Shirley Bassey was in the top 5 hits.
Gidget, directed by Paul Wendkos, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 April 1959!
Which were the important events of 8 April 1959 ?
- Saint Constance
- Buddha's Birthday in Japan
- Saint Walter of Pontoise (died 1099)
- Saint Julie Billiart of Namur (died 1816).
Famous Birthdays:08 April
- Gustave Charlier: Belgian literature historian, dies.
- A team of computer manufacturers, users, and university people led by Grace Hopper meets to discuss the creation of a new programming language that would be called COBOL.
- The Organization of American States drafts an agreement to create the Inter-American Development Bank.
- The Inter-American Development Bank (IADB) is established.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Brook Benton - It's Just A Matter Of Time
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- Thomas Wayne - Tragedy
- Ricky Nelson - Never Be Anyone Else But You
- The Coasters - Charlie Brown
- David Seville - Alvin's Harmonica
- Ricky Nelson - It's Late
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?