Tuesday 8 August 1939
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include William Alden Hibbard and Phil Balsley in Virginia.
The Wizard of Oz, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1939 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- William Alden Hibbard: Composer.
- Phil Balsley in Virginia: USA; country singer (Statler Bros - "Flowers on the Wall").
- Denny Moyer: American boxer who held the world light middleweight title between 1962 and 1963.
- Phil Balsley: American singer-songwriter (The Statler Brothers).
- Viorica Viscopoleanu: Romania -- Long jumper (1968 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Alexander Watson: American diplomat United States Ambassador to Peru
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?