Tuesday 8 August 1939
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Wizard of Oz, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1939 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Denny Moyer: American boxer who held the world light middleweight title between 1962 and 1963.
- William Alden Hibbard: Composer.
- Phil Balsley: American singer-songwriter (The Statler Brothers).
- Viorica Viscopoleanu: Romania -- Long jumper (1968 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Alexander Watson: American diplomat United States Ambassador to Peru.
- Phil Balsley in Virginia: USA; country singer (Statler Bros - "Flowers on the Wall").
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 8 August 1939 and get them!