Saturday 8 August 1959
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Lonely Boy by Paul Anka.
In UK Dream Lover by Bobby Darin was in the top 5 hits.
The Tingler, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1959 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Caroline Ansink: Dutch flute player composer and educator.
- Ronald Weigel: German DR speed walker (5 km indoor).
- Christophe Chantepy: French senior government official, who served as Director of the Cabinet of the French Prime Minister from 15 May 2012 to 31 March 2014.
- A flood in Taiwan kills 2,000.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Fabian - Tiger
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo
- Duane Eddy - Forty Miles Of Bad Road
- Ricky Nelson - Sweeter Than You
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 8 August 1959 and get them!