Wednesday 8 August 1979
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Paris Latsis and Gu?jon Valur Sigur?sson.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Bad Girls by Donna Summer.
In UK I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats was in the top 5 hits.
Apocalypse Now, directed by Francis Coppola, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Matarese Circle by Robert Ludlum was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Prisoner: Cell Block H.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Deep Scan or Sheriff.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1979.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1979!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1979 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Paris Latsis: Greek shipping heir.
- Gu?jon Valur Sigur?sson: Icelandic handball player.
- Dan Smith: English musician (Noisettes).
- Rashard Lewis: American basketball player.
- Richard Harwood: English cellist.
- Richard Lyons: Northern Irish racing driver
- Pooja Shah: English actress
- Guðjón Sigurðsson: Icelandic handball player
- Nicholas Monsarrat: English sailor and author (d. 1979).
- Iraqi President Saddam Hussein executes 22 political opponents
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?