Monday 8 August 1988
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Roll With It by Steve Winwood.
In UK The Only Way Is Up by Yazz & The Plastic Population was in the top 5 hits.
The Last Temptation of Christ, directed by Martin Scorsese, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1988
while The Cardinal Of The Kremlin by Tom Clancy was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1988!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1988 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Beatrice : British royalty, the first daughter of Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew, the Duke and Duchess of York.
- Danilo Gallinari: Italian basketball player.
- Ni Ni: Chinese actress.
- Rinku Singh: Indian baseball player.
- Laura Wiggins: American actress and singer.
- Princess Beatrice of York: British royal
- Jeff Weise: American murderer (dies 2005).
- David Lehre: Pop Singer
- Landon Austin: Pop Singer
- Beatrice E M: Duchess of York gives birth to 6 lb 12 oz baby girl
- 9th US Seniors Golf Open: Gary Player
- Angola, Cuba and South Africa sign cease fire treaty
- Cubs and Phillies attempt to play 1st night game ever at Wrigley Field but are rained out in 4th inning with Chicago leading, 3-1
- Duchess of York gives birth to 6 lb 12 oz baby girl
- Goose Gossage registers career save #300
- Matt Biondi swims US record 200m freestyle (1:47.72)
- Minn Twins pull 2nd triple-play of year and beat Cleveland 6-2
- Sec of State Shultz narrowly escapes assassin attempt in Bolivia
- Temperature hits high of 88 on 8 / 8 / 88 in New York City
- Jose Canseco of the Oakland Athletics becomes 11th player to get 30 home runs and 30 steals in a season.
- Renovated New York City Central Park Zoo reopens after four years.
- US Secretary of State George Shultz narrowly escapes assassination attempt in Bolivia.
- South Africa declares cease-fire in Angola.
- Russian troops begin pull-out of Afghanistan after nine-year war.
- The lights are turned on at Wrigley Field for the first time, making it the last major league stadium to host night games. (The game, against the Philadelphia Phillies, is rained out after three-and-a-half innings.)
- The ''8888 Uprising'' occurs in Burma.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1988 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Steve Winwood - Roll With It
- George Michael - Monkey
- Richard Marx - Hold On To The Nights
- Breathe - Hands To Heaven
- Elton John - I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That
- Eric Carmen - Make Me Lose Control
- Chicago - I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love
- Gloria Estefan - 1-2-3
- Terence Trent D'Arby - Sign Your Name
- Johnny Kemp - Just Got Paid
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 8 August 1988 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?