Monday 8 August 1988
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Beatrice E M and Princess Beatrice of York.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Roll With It by Steve Winwood.
In UK The Only Way Is Up by Yazz & The Plastic Population was in the top 5 hits.
The Last Temptation of Christ, directed by Martin Scorsese, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1988
while The Cardinal Of The Kremlin by Tom Clancy was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Captain Blood or Final Blow.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1988.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1988!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1988 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Beatrice E M: Duchess of York gives birth to 6 lb 12 oz baby girl.
- Princess Beatrice of York: British royal.
- Jeff Weise: American murderer (dies 2005).
- Beatrice : British royalty, the first daughter of Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew, the Duke and Duchess of York.
- David Lehre: Pop Singer.
- Landon Austin: Pop Singer
- Danilo Gallinari: Italian basketball player
- Ni Ni: Chinese actress
- Rinku Singh: Indian baseball player
- Laura Wiggins: American actress and singer
- 9th US Seniors Golf Open: Gary Player
- Angola, Cuba and South Africa sign cease fire treaty
- Cubs and Phillies attempt to play 1st night game ever at Wrigley Field but are rained out in 4th inning with Chicago leading, 3-1
- Duchess of York gives birth to 6 lb 12 oz baby girl
- Goose Gossage registers career save #300
- Matt Biondi swims US record 200m freestyle (1:47.72)
- Minn Twins pull 2nd triple-play of year and beat Cleveland 6-2
- Sec of State Shultz narrowly escapes assassin attempt in Bolivia
- Temperature hits high of 88 on 8 / 8 / 88 in New York City
- Jose Canseco of the Oakland Athletics becomes 11th player to get 30 home runs and 30 steals in a season.
- Renovated New York City Central Park Zoo reopens after four years.
- US Secretary of State George Shultz narrowly escapes assassination attempt in Bolivia.
- South Africa declares cease-fire in Angola.
- Russian troops begin pull-out of Afghanistan after nine-year war.
- The lights are turned on at Wrigley Field for the first time, making it the last major league stadium to host night games. (The game, against the Philadelphia Phillies, is rained out after three-and-a-half innings.)
- The ''8888 Uprising'' occurs in Burma.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1988 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Steve Winwood - Roll With It
- Breathe - Hands To Heaven
- Eric Carmen - Make Me Lose Control
- Terence Trent D'Arby - Sign Your Name
- Gloria Estefan - 1-2-3
- Elton John - I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That
- Chicago - I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love
- George Michael - Monkey
- Richard Marx - Hold On To The Nights
- Johnny Kemp - Just Got Paid
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?