Sunday 8 August 2010
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Love The Way You Lie by Eminem.
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, directed by Edgar Wright, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2010.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 2010!
Which were the important events of 8 August 2010 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Patricia Neal: American actress who was a Broadway success from her stage debut in 1945.
- North Korea detains a South Korean fishing boat with four South Koreans and three Chinese on board. (Aljazeera)
- At least 8 people are killed and 32 others injured during a car bomb outside a restaurant in Ramadi, Iraq. (Aljazeera)
- The death toll of Saturday's explosion in Basra, Iraq, rises to 43, with the number of injured people being over 100. Police say the explosion was as a result of a power generator short-circuiting but other sources claim it was due to a car bomb. (BBC)
- Adaisseh incident:
- United States Representative Ron Klein calls for an investigation into American military aid to Lebanon to determine whether the Lebanese soldiers involved used American-supplied military equipment or received American-funded training. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu orders his attorney-general to find out who leaked embarrassing details about a feud among some of his generals, one of whom is trying to smear his rivals. (Reuters India)
- The Anatolian Agency reports that two Turkish Army soldiers were killed in a roadside bomb explosion in Mardin Province near the Turkish border with Syria. (Canadian Press via Google News)
- A bridegroom accidentally shoots dead three relations and injures eight others while celebrating with an AK-47 at his wedding in Akcagoze, Gaziantep in Turkey the man has been detained. (News24)
- Ads website Craigslist faces allegations of ampquotpay to rapeampquot underage prostitution after a letter is published in ''The Washington Post''. (''The Guardian'')
- It is revealed that Sarah, Duchess of York faces possible bankruptcy, which would make her the first Royal to suffer this. (''The Guardian'')
- 127 people are killed and 2,000 missing in landslides in Gansu Province, China, due to ongoing flooding. (BBC)
- The death toll rises to 132 and injury toll is at least 400 as severe flash floods devastate Kashmir. (Press TV)
- 2010 Pakistan floods:
- Torrential rains worsen the ongoing flood crisis across Pakistan, which has so far affected 14 million people, as rescue helicopters are forced to stay on the ground in the northwest of the country. (BBC)
- Food prices soar in Pakistan as the floods destroy one million acres of crops so far. (''The Express Tribune'')
- Flash floods in the Baltic and Central Europe:
- Poland's Vistula River breaks is banks, leading to the evacuation of thousands of people. Hungary is also in a critical situation. Slovakia experiences its worst floods in a century. (Deutsche Welle)
- There is a further cave-in at the mine near Copiapó, Chile where people have been working since Thursday to rescue 34 miners trapped underground work is currently suspended in an incident that is rare in that part of the world. (BBC)
- Several countries evacuate staff from their embassies in Moscow due to the 2010 Russian wildfires including Germany, Austria, Poland and Canada, (Voice of America)
- President of Sudan Omar al-Bashir says the ampquotmandateampquot of the United Nations, African Union and international aid organisations in Darfur is to ampquotsupport government authoritiesampquot and that expulsion is the other option. (Aljazeera)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2010 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?