Wednesday 8 August 2012
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
The Odd Life of Timothy Green, directed by Peter Hedges, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 8 August 2012 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 August
- Armed men open fire at a checkpoint in the Egyptian city of Arish on the Sinai Peninsula. (Reuters)
- The Egyptian Air Force responds with air strikes leaving 20 people dead. (Al Jazeera)
- Syrian civil war:
- Heavy fighting continues in the Salaheddine district in Aleppo. (''Washington Post'')
- A Jordanian government spokesman says Syria's ex-prime minister, Riad Hijab, arrives in Jordan, contradicting earlier reports that he had fled Syria on August 6. (''Washington Post'')
- China announces plan to close one-third of the nation's 23 rare earth mines and about half of 99 smelting companies. (CNN)
- 2012 Pacific typhoon season:
- Typhoon Haikui makes landfall over Xiangshan County in the Chinese province of Zhejiang. (CNN)
- The death toll in the Philippines capital Manila from flooding rises to 16 with rain continuing to fall. (BBC)
- Philippine news agencies report that several cities, provinces and towns in Luzon are now under state of calamity. (ABS-CBNnews.com)
- Hurricane Ernesto hits the Yucatán Peninsula in Mexico. (CNN)
- A welding fire breaks out but is soon extinguished, with no injuries, on the 88th floor of One World Trade Center in New York City. (NBC)
- A preliminary magnitude 4.5 earthquake strikes Orange County, California. Minimal damage was reported. (NBC)
- Anthropologists find the skeleton of a young woman inside a burial in Templo Mayor, surrounded by piles of 1,789 human bones. This finding is ampquotunprecedented for the Aztec culture.ampquot (The Huffington Post)
- Marvin Lee Wilson is executed by the state of Texas despite the low IQ results that could have invalidated his punishment. (CBS News)
- The Supreme Court of Pakistan orders the Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf to appear before it to explain his alleged failure to comply with orders reopening corruption charges against President Asif Ali Zardari. (Reuters)
- A police dog team searches a grandmother's house after the disappearance of Tia Sharp. (Sky News)
- A man is sentenced to 25 years imprisonment for the kidnapping and Murder of Anni Dewani in South Africa. (Sky News)
- 30 leading German managers write a letter to the leaders of the parliamentary groups where they ask for the ratification of the United Nations Convention against Corruption. (''The Local'')
- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda annouces that the ruling Democratic Party of Japan has reached an agreement with the opposition Liberal Democratic and New Komeito parties to pass a bill that will raise Japan's consumption tax rate. This will ampquotshortlyampquot be followed by dissolution of the Diet and a snap election, although no timetable has been set. (Bloomberg)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 8 August 2012 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?