Friday 8 December 1939
It was Friday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Lynn Wilson and Sir James Galway.
Gone with the Wind, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 December 1939!
Which were the important events of 8 December 1939 ?
- Malta - Public Holiday.
- Panama - Mother's Day
- Romania - Constitution Day
- Bulgaria - Day of the Student (studentski praznik)
- R.C. Saints - The solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary: a Holy Day of Obligation
- Italy - In Milan, the opera season starts.
- Buddhism - The Enlightenment of Gautama Buddha
- Afflux (50 Aftermath) (Discordianism)
- Lynn Wilson: Contractor / multi-millionaire.
- Sir James Galway: Northern Irish flautist.
- James Galway in Belfast: Ireland; flutist (18k gold flute, Royal Philharmonic).
- Jerry Butler in Sunflower: Mississippi, USA; rock vocalist ("Never Give You Up").
- Jerry ''The Iceman'' Butler: American soul singer.
- James Galway: Irish flutist, world known as the greatest flutist living. He played flute and piccolo in the early '60s with Sadler's Wells Opera Orchestra, the Royal Opera House Orchestra and BBC Symphony Orchestra. In the late '60s, he began with the London Symphony and Royal Philharmonic, and played first flute for the Berlin Philharmonic 1969-1975. Since then his international career has flourished as a soloist; many recordings.
- Felipe Gozon: Filipino lawyer and businessman, the Chairman and CEO of GMA Network Inc., one of the largest media networks in the Philippines.
- Red Berenson: Canadian ice hockey player and coach
- Jerry Butler: American singer-songwriter and producer (The Impressions)
- Dariush Mehrjui: Iranian director producer and screenwriter
- Soko Richardson: American drummer (Kings of Rhythm and John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers) (d. 2004)
- Ernest Schelling: Composer, dies at 63.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 8 December 1939
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1939 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- South of the Border (Down Mexico Way) - Ambrose & His Orchestra vocal Denny Dennis
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?