Monday 8 December 2008
It was Monday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) by Beyonce.
Revolutionary Road, directed by Sam Mendes, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 December 2008!
Which were the important events of 8 December 2008 ?
- Malta - Public Holiday.
- Panama - Mother's Day
- Romania - Constitution Day
- Bulgaria - Day of the Student (studentski praznik)
- R.C. Saints - The solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary: a Holy Day of Obligation
- Italy - In Milan, the opera season starts.
- Buddhism - The Enlightenment of Gautama Buddha
- Afflux (50 Aftermath) (Discordianism)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 December
- In the USA, the Tribune Company files for bankruptcy.
- 2008 Russian financial crisis:
- Standard Poor's becomes the first credit rating agency to downgrade Russia since 1999, while data showed that the Central Bank spent US$30 billion in currency market interventions in November 2008. (MarketWatch)
- The Moscow City Court rules that former Yukos Oil Company vice president Vasily Aleksanyan, who is suffering from lymphoma, tuberculosis, and AIDS, will be freed on bail of 50 million rubles (US$1.78 million). (Moscow Times)
- A United States Marine Corps F/A-18 Hornet crashes into the University City neighborhood of San Diego, California, two miles from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, killing four people. (''BBC News'')
- 2008 Canadian parliamentary dispute: Stéphane Dion announces his plans to resign as leader of the Liberal Party of Canada. (The Ottawa Citizen)
- The Tribune Company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. (Los Angeles Times)
- A bus crashes 30 kilometers southwest of Cairo, killing 11 people and injuring 30 more. (Reuters via ABC News Australia)
- In a Guantanamo Bay Naval Base military commission, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four co-defendants announce their intentions to plead guilty to charges relating to the September 11, 2001, attacks. (BBC)
- Premier Jean Charest leads the Liberal Party to a third mandate and a majority government.
- Pauline Marois's Parti Québécois recovers and becomes the Official Opposition.
- Support for the ADQ collapses: it loses more than 30 seats and leader Mario Dumont announces his resignation.
- Québec Solidaire scores its first election victory, electing party co-leader Amir Khadir. (CBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?