Wednesday 8 December 2010
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Raise Your Glass by P!nk.
True Grit, directed by Ethan Coen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Decision Points by George W. Bush was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Welcome Back, Brotter.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam or Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 December 2010!
Which were the important events of 8 December 2010 ?
- Malta - Public Holiday.
- Panama - Mother's Day
- Romania - Constitution Day
- Bulgaria - Day of the Student (studentski praznik)
- R.C. Saints - The solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary: a Holy Day of Obligation
- Italy - In Milan, the opera season starts.
- Buddhism - The Enlightenment of Gautama Buddha
- Afflux (50 Aftermath) (Discordianism)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 December
- With the second launch of the SpaceX Dragon, SpaceX becomes the first privately held company to successfully launch, orbit and recover a spacecraft.
- Clashes between rival clans in northern Somalia kill around 35 people and injure 40 others. (Press TV)
- North Korea launches apparent artillery drills as South Korean and American military officials hold talks. (Al Jazeera)
- At least 18 people are killed during a bomb at a bus terminal in Kohat's main bazaar kills in Pakistan. (CNN)
- John Lennon is celebrated on the 30th anniversary of his murder. (BBC)
- The retired French electrician who recently revealed he had hundreds of Picassos in his possession announces another trove of his art is also in his possession. (AFP via ABC News)
- The Panama Canal is shut to traffic due to heavy rain, the first time it has been shut since the United States invaded in 1989. (CNN)
- 30 corpses have now been retrieved from the recent massive landslide in Colombia. (Al Jazeera)
- 83 prisoners die as a fire breaks out in a prison in Santiago, Chile. (''The Straits Times'')
- 26 people are confirmed dead after a gas explosion at a coal mine in Henan Province in central China. (''China Daily'')
- At least 10 people are killed in crash involving two trains in eastern Bangladesh. (BD News 24)
- 20 per cent of flights at Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport are cancelled due to extreme weather. (''The Straits Times'')
- The Eiffel Tower is closed due to snow. (BBC)
- United States diplomatic cables leak:
- Newly released cables report that the British government feared Libya might reduce political relations if Abdelbaset al-Megrahi were to die in jail in Scotland. (AP via ''Herald Sun'')
- Newly released cables reveal America lobbied Russia in an attempt to ensure Visa and MasterCard were not ampquotadversely affectedampquot by new legislation earlier this year. Both companies recently suspended all payments to the WikiLeaks website, reportedly after coming under intense pressure from the U.S. government. (''The Guardian'')
- An open letter is sent to Gillard requesting that she make aampquotstrong statementampquot supporting Assange: signatories include renowned American scholar Noam Chomsky, Australian Greens Senator Bob Brown, army whistleblower Lance Collins and numerous Australian authors including Raimond Gaita, Christos Tsiolkas and Helen Garner. (''Herald Sun'')
- Israeli–Palestinian conflict:
- Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas says Middle East peace talks are in crisis following Israel's refusal to stop building in settlements. (BBC)
- Following increasing demands from the international community Israel's security cabinet approves a a two-phase move it says will allow exports from the Gaza Strip, though construction materials are to remain banned. (''The Guardian'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2010 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?