Wednesday 8 February 1978
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Stayin' Alive by Bee Gees.
In UK Take A Chance On Me by Abba was in the top 5 hits.
Coming Home, directed by Hal Ashby, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1978
while The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 February 1978!
Which were the important events of 8 February 1978 ?
- Nirvana Day - an annual Buddhist festival.
- Saint Jerome Emiliani.
- Saint Juventius
- Saint Mengold of Huy
- Saint Jacoba (d.1239)
- Slovenia - Pre?eren Day, the Slovenian cultural holiday.
- Boy Scouts of America - Scout Sunday; The Sunday preceding February 8 is designated as Scout Sunday and the following Saturday is designated as Scout Sabbath.
- Christa Williams: Houston, Texas -- Softball pitcher (1996 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- The proceedings of the United States Senate are first broadcast on radio.
- Crown Prince Sad Abdallah al-Salim Al Sabah becomes Prime Minister of Kuwait.
- Proceedings of the United States Senate are broadcast on radio for the first time.
- United States Senate proceedings are broadcast on radio for the first time.
- Pacific Western Airlines Flight 314, a Boeing 737-200, crashes in Cranbrook, British Columbia, killing 44 of the 50 people on board.
- Sixteen Unification Church couples wed in New York, New York.
- Somalia mobilizes its troops, due to an apparent Ethiopian attack.
- The People's Republic of China lifts a ban on works by Aristotle, William Shakespeare and Charles Dickens.
- Rhodesia, one of only two remaining white-ruled African nations, announces that it will accept multiracial democracy within two years.
- Serial killer Ted Bundy is captured in Pensacola, Florida.
- The Hillside Strangler, a serial killer prowling Los Angeles, claims a tenth and final victim.
- The first computer bulletin board system (''CBBS'') is created in Chicago.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1978 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
- Player - Baby Come Back
- Andy Gibb - (Love Is) Thicker Than Water
- Randy Newman - Short People
- Samantha Sang - Emotion
- Billy Joel - Just The Way You Are
- Dan Hill - Sometimes When We Touch
- Queen - We Are The Champions
- Chic - Dance, Dance, Dance (Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah)
- Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 8 February 1978 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?